Friday, September 12, 2008

Sweet + Salty + Melty = Yummy :)

I have to start out by saying how much I love food. More than that, I love "party food" or what some people call "shower food." These are the types of eats you have when you go to a...wait for it...party or shower! I like that they are usually small so I can eat a lot of them and feel like I haven't really eaten that much. I like that they are usually filled with sugar or cream cheese or something equally as sinful. And, most of all, I love that they are associated with socializing! (And we all know how much I like to run that mouth! Just ask my Sprint bill...)

I went to a sip and see last weekend (for those of you that don't know, a sip and see is kind of like an open house for people that just had a baby. It usually happens if the couple lives out of town and wants friends and family from their hometown to be able to see the kid but can't schedule 57 lunches and playdates during a weekend trip home. That's the "see" part. I guess there is usually coffee or tea or other beverages...hence the "sip" accompanying the "see.") At said "sip and see" I had the best little snack. I haven't been able to get a consensus on what they're actually called, but I like "Rolo Pretzel Turtles," so that's what I'm going with...Rolo Pretzel Turtles... This hardly calls for a recipe because it is as simple as it is delicious, but here goes for those of you that need direction (note that I stole these pictures from the internet because I felt this is more of a "here, let me show you how to make these" kind of recipe. Internet police, come and get me):

Ingredients:

pretzels, rolos & pecan halves



The square pretzels shown above are the easiest and least messy to use because of their increased surface area, but the traditional pretzel shape looks a little prettier. (see other pictures below) Whichever you prefer is fine. Just make sure they are not of the unsalted variety. I'm sure you could use other combinations of candies and nuts, but I have not tried it. Be sure to let me know if you do!

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Evenly space the pretzels on a parchment or foil lined baking sheet and place one rolo in the center of each pretzel



Bake at 350 for approximately 3-5 minutes or until the rolos are soft but not melted all over the place.

Remove baking sheet from oven and immediately press a single pecan half on each of the rolos. You can do this one of two ways - either to make a tidy bite or to accentuate the melted caramel. Both are showed below.






Tada! So simple and so good! The great thing about this recipe is that you can essentially preheat your oven anywhere from 200 or 400 degrees and tinker with the time frame and get very similar results. Like I said before, you also can play with the ingredients a little to tailor the treat to your personal tastes. Let me know how it goes and enjoy!

4 comments:

Rhondi said...

Oh no you didn't Lindsay Schneck. I'm going to make those tomorrow, they sound amazing. Anything that deals with a pretzel & chocolate is good good & more good. My mouth is watering just looking at those pictures. Those are right up my alley...can't wait to taste 'em!
xoxo

Aubrey and Jen said...

Yea!!! I'm so glad you enjoyed them...they're my favorite! Oh and thanks for your "sip 'n see" explanation...well said, my friend!:-)

Hannah said...

woah baby. that is genius! looks SOOO good...now i just need to think of an excuse to make some!

Tennessee Dance Arts Conservatory said...

hey, ok I realized I don't know your email. So here is mine Okcupcake@gmail.com.
That way I can read the blogs.

 
Designed by Lena