Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Interesting Article

I know vaccines are a hot issue right now in parenting. It is one that I have been aware of only in the past year or so and don't feel like I know enough about to remain on one side or the other of the debate. I did have a lady in Whole Foods come up to me after seeing the product of Liam's reflux all over his clothes, the car seat and the buggy (gross...)

Lady: Poor little guy! My son has reflux too.
Me: I know, it's awful. We have tried everything to resolve it. We've been on medicine, limited our diets, been to the Gi....
Lady: Do you feed him organic foods?
Me: Yep, I either make them or use Earth's Best or Gerber Organic.
Lady: Do you feed him yellow vegetables? It's probably the yellow vegetables.
Me: Yeah, we do, but it was happening before that, so I don't think that's it.
Lady: Did you vaccinate him? We didn't vaccinate our son because vaccines can cause an infection in the intestine which can
cause GI problems like reflux and eventually autism. Did you know that?
Me: No, that's interesting. Thanks for telling me :) (Walking away wondering how we got from sweet potatoes to neurological
disorders...)
Lady: (Chasing me down the aisle) Do you want my email address? Maybe we can start a reflux support group?
Me: I don't have anything to write with. Thanks though! (Now ducking behind displays of can goods to avoid seeing her again
before we leave)

Just so it is out in the open, Jon and I elected to vaccinate Liam because we personally thought the pros outweighed the cons. Despite this woman's totally inappropriate attempt to convert me to the other side, I am definitely still remaining open minded and have continued in learning more about the topic. I thought you guys might like to know when I find new information. Here is an interesting CNN article on the topic that I thought I should share. I encourage everyone to do their own research and make their own decision regarding what is best for their children. Hope this helps!

3 comments:

jon. said...

So what's the deal with unsolicited advice these days? I'm sure everyone thinks they totally know best, but they totally don't know what's best for your child. That was a good article. I know there is tons of debate around this issue. I guess I"m taking the middle road (me, being indecisive and picking something in the middle? no.) and going with the extended schedule for immunizing. I guess I'll get Lyla the chicken pox vaccine before kindergarten, but I'm not so sure it has to be NOW. You know? Anyshots, the debate rages on.
khk

saylor days said...

aaagh how funny/frustrating.i don't spout my opinions on my sister let alone a stranger.pregnany/raising children seems a more heated topic than religion and politics sometimes...we started out vaccinating saylor then made the decision to stop.i can send you info if you are still going back and forth.regardless i say to each his own.is the child loved and cared for? ok then.God is above all this stuff we get caught up in.

khull05 said...

just chiming in to say, sorry about the reflux!! isn't it so lame? kt told me you guys have been dealing with it. sux.

meanwhile, i concur about the unsolicited advice. i find that i get much more in places like whole foods! ha!

kelly (katy's sister)

 
Designed by Lena