Saturday, December 20, 2008

Excellent Gifts

I have always loved giving gifts. It has honestly been one of my great joys in life. When I was little and I would go on a field trip, my mom would give me "spending money" for the souvenir shop or snack bar or what have you. I always came back with presents for everyone - mom, dad, brother, grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins... I would spend as long as I could, perusing each item up for sale and deciding which one would be most appreciated by each person. I would try to be as frugal as I could while not skimping or being stingy. I did want to walk away with something for myself, after all! On the ride home I would get so excited about sharing my gifts with my family. This carried on into my adult life. I actually bought gifts for family members on my honeymoon. I knew that my mom would love a coffee cup from overseas, that my grandparents would love coffee and spices from abroad. I don't say this to tout my ever generous character...barf... But, the very timely subject of gifting is something that I am passionate about and I think is very important, especially when it comes to our children. I think it is important to teach our children the time honored lesson of "it is better to give than receive." This has proven true in my life, and I am hoping it will be in Liam's too. One way that we as parents can teach our children these character building qualities is through giving gifts ourselves - and more specifically, the gift of reading. We have some amazing women at our church, The Village Chapel. I am lucky enough to be able to be mentored by some of these seasoned mothers while I myself am in the process of mothering. Derri Smith wrote this email to our mother's group today, and I loved it so much that I wanted to share it with all of you.

I’m a big fan of reading to children, as I’m sure many of you are. I grew up in a totally dysfunctional home, but I was an avid reader. A children’s librarian gave me weekly guidance, suggesting excellent books to read. When I’d read everything in the children’s section, she took me upstairs and started me on excellent adult books. Unknowingly, she shaped my character. From the books she recommended, I learned to admire what is admirable, to dream of noble pursuits and to picture the consequences of choices, both good and bad.

Just as we take great care to give our children the healthiest foods, we give them a great gift when we offer them fine reading fare.


In the weeks ahead she is going to be giving us different ideas on how to use books to help develop our childrens' character. I can't wait to see what she has in store!

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena