Thursday, October 2, 2008

I'm thinking we should just direct deposit our paychecks right into Publix's bank account. When selling things at a garage sale I should just say "Oh, you can make that out to Kroger please." Can you believe how expensive food is lately?? My word. My jaw literally drops every time I check out. I'm naturally averse to the concept of money as it is, but now I'm just getting downright irritable about it. I like to buy organic, especially for Liam, but my ability to do that is dwindling. So, in an effort to balance frugality with wellness I did a little searching and researching. I found that Earthbound Farm Organics has a guide on their website that directs you to the produce that most commonly contains pesticide and herbicide residues in order from the highest levels to the lowest.

Go to http://www.foodnews.org/ to see the full list.

For a quick reference, here are a few of the common types of produce with the highest levels of chemical residue -

Peaches
Apples
Bell Peppers
Celery
Cherries
Imported Grapes
Lettuces
Nectarines
Pears
Potatoes
Spinach
Strawberries

These lists are really helpful to me as I am debating whether to knowingly poison my child or drop my life savings on a piece of fruit. Okay, that's a little dramatic. But you know what I mean... Now I will know that if I'm buying peaches, I should opt for organic. Frozen corn, not so much. Thanks Earthbound!

Happy shopping!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Yea, organic has always been more, but with prices going up, I'm sure they can be crazy. Anything specialized at all and the price goes way up. I'm surprised about peaches, but not so surprised about the rest. Do you have space for a garden? That is one option, at least during the growing season. Keeping it up is the hard part, though.

 
Designed by Lena