Thursday, October 9, 2008

Do you smell that? I think it's autumn!



As you all know spices are one of my favorite parts of the fall season. Sure, we all have candles and that do their best to make our home smell like we are baking a homemade pumpkin spice cake (more on that later), but nothing beats the scent of real cinnamon, cloves, and other yummy ingredients permeating the air. My good friend Rhondi gave me this recipe a couple of years ago and I make it every year. We shall call it "Harvest Brew."


Harvest Brew

1 lemon
1 orange
3 short cinnamon sticks
6 bay leaves
1/2 cup whole cloves

Cut lemon and orange into quarters. Combine fruit, spices & 2 quarts of water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, & simmer as long as desired. Add more water as needed. Any leftover mixture can be covered & refrigerated for several days to be re-used.

I personally have cut the cloves down to 1/4 cup. Since we don't have a large house I found the clove overpowering at 1/2 cup. Also, cloves are not cheap so I wanted to use as few as possible. Make sure you store the brew in the refrigerator when you are not using it. Since it uses fresh ingredients it can go bad. Believe me, you do NOT want the smell of rotten oranges making its way into the pores of every soft surface in your house. I don't know if there's enough Febreeze in the world for something like that.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

mmmm, i can almost smell it already! Sounds so great! Thanks for sharing your secrets.

Hannah said...

and this is a stupid question, but is this only for smelling, or is it for drinking too?

 
Designed by Lena