Sunday, March 29, 2009

What's for dinner?

I don't know. That's the problem. I am so tired of my old cycle of chili, spaghetti, chicken casserole, tacos, etc... I need some fresh new ideas. So, I thought I'd ask you guys, my friends! Do you have any scrumptious recipes that you think I should add to my repertoire? If so, either post them in the comments or email them to me and I will repost my faves so that everyone can try!

Here's my first recipe. It's not technically a "meal", although I could make one out of it. Here is my friend Melissa's recipe for Easy No-Knead Bread. It is sooooo delicious. Per her recommendation, we ate it with dinner. Then put butter and sugar and cinnamon on slices the next morning and popped them in the toaster oven for some ridiculous cinnamon toast! Enjoy and let me know if you have any questions!



Combine and set aside:
2 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
1 T. salt
2 pkgs. dry yeast (1/4 oz. each)

Heat until warm:
1 c. water
1 c. milk
1/4 c. vegetable oil

Have on hand:
1 egg
2 to 2 1/2 c. flour
butter

Mix egg with liquids, then stir all into flour mixture. Blend at lowest speed on mixer, then blend on medium for 3 minutes. By hand stir in another 2 to 2 1/2 c. flour. Cover, let rise 50 minutes until light and doubled in size. Stir down. Spoon into greased 6" x 9" loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes. Brush top with butter.

I will tell you that this recipe requires a loaf pan larger than the one I got as a wedding gift in the pyrex set of glass dishes. If this is all you have, just fill the pan about 2/3-3/4 full of dough and discard the rest or try to make rolls out of it or something. Also, when my friend Melissa made it, it was raining outside so at the part where it says to mix in another 2 - 2 1/2 cups of flour, she had to had more to get it to the right consistency. The dough should just be pulling away from the sides of the pan.

This bread is G.O.O.D. Bon Apetite!

3 comments:

Tennessee Dance Arts Conservatory said...

Don't know if you're picky eaters, but one of the things we rotate is Tuna and Noodles with melted cheese on top and peas. It sounds weird, but is pretty good and fast to prepare.

Also, I love making a homemade stir fry. Cook Rice, cook Chicken, fry up some eggs and slowly add rice, carrots, onions, sometimes corn, then add in chicken and soy sauce. mmm .

Clh03uga said...

Beef-Noodle Bowl

1/2 lb. spaghetti, uncooked
3 C brocculi florets
3 carrots, peeled, sliced
2 T oil
1 lb. beef sirloin steak, cut into strips
1/2 C Asian Toasted Sesame Dressing
2 T Teriyaki sauce

Cook pasta, add veggies to boiling water last 2 minutes. Heat oil. Add meat to oil, cook until brown. Stir in dressing & teriyaki, cook 2 minutes or until sauce thickens. Drain pasta & veggies. Mix with steak and sauce.
OR
Use Zesty Italian dressing, 1 tsp. ginger, & increase teriyaki to 1/4 cup.

(I double the sauce...so 1 C Dressing and 4 T Teriyaki).

Kraft's website has lots of other recipes that use this particular salad dressing...so you can use it in other things if you buy it. It's really good on salads though. I make a salad with pine nuts, raisins, cranberries, walnuts, etc. and put this dressing on it. YUMMY!

Another recommendation is to sign up for Kraft's food and family magazine. They are full of easy recipes, and I've made lots of dinners from those mags and each one has been delicioso.

Melissa said...

Our favorite thing to do is to head to Publix and buy fresh shrimp for dinner. They'll even cook it with spices for you! Usually 1/2-3/4 of a pound feeds us well, and if it's 6.99 per lb, that's a pretty cheap dinner. Sometimes I get it uncooked, saute it with some salt, pepper and lemon juice and toss it in with pasta and any type of sauce (our favorite is pesto) One problem...I can't feed it to Vale yet. Or, at least I don't.

Another cheap seafood option is tilapia. I dredge the filets in melted butter and then coat them with crushed saltines mixed with grated parmesan, garlic power, salt, pepper, oregano and basil. Cook at 350 for 25-30 min.

We love to make baked potatoes and top them with chicken breast cubes, cheese, bbq sauce, etc.

Also, we make smoothies or "brinner" (breakfast for dinner) a lot. Vale loves smoothies and it's fun to let her drink them from a straw.

And I must give credit where credit is due...I got the bread recipe from a wonderful blog...Posy Gets Cozy. Here's the link

http://rosylittlethings.typepad.com/posie_gets_cozy/2007/03/bready_in_no_ti.html

Fun post, L! Can't wait to read the rest of the recipes!

 
Designed by Lena